The Marin History Museum is celebrating the opening of the Boyd Gate House in downtown San Rafael at 1125 B Street on Saturday, Nov. 13, from 1-4 p.m.
Guests will have the opportunity to view 18 rarely seen black and white photographs from the Ed Brady/Aero Photography Collection taken between 1955-1965. “The significant growth and development through Marin during this time is magnificently captured in this exhibition,” a museum press release said.
The photographs on display represent all parts of Marin County.
Guests are invited to learn about the history of the Boyd Gate House and walk to the top of Boyd Park with historian Marcie Miller. The walk will begin at 2 p.m. at the entrance to the park.
Upon returning from WWII, Mr. Brady purchased a small plane and partnered with Jack Van Wart and opened Aero Photographers Inc. (API) in 1954. Despite neither one being a photographer, they built API into a sought after state-of-the-art company boasting a wide variety of clients. In 2006, Grethe Brady generously donated her husband’s collection of more than 10,000 photographic negatives and prints encompassing 40 years to the Marin History Museum allowing the legacy to live on and to be seen by generations to come.
The festivities also include refreshments, music and items for sale. Adam Murray built the Gothic Revival-Style Boyd Gate House in 1879 at the entrance of the Maple Lawn estate. In 1905, Mr. and Mrs. Boyd donated a large portion of their property to the City of San Rafael. On April 24, the dedication of Boyd Memorial Park took place in memory of their sons, Seth and John Jr. In 1974, the Boyd Gate House was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Marin History Museum is honored to be able to expand our mission of celebrating tradition, innovation and creativity by the people of Marin County through our presence in the historic Boyd Gate House.
Parking is available at the West America lot across the street.