Marin History/Mill Valley
In April 1953, the Mill Valley City Council approved the development of Sutton Manor, a subdivision located north of East Blithedale in Alto.
The city annexed the land.
The 125 homes are on Meadow Drive., Dorset Lane., Somerset Way and three shorter streets.
Construction proceeded at a fast pace. Some homes were ready in July, and the rest by the end of the year. Southern Marin Realty provided special financing for GI’s, 10% down. The full price for a 3-bedroom, 2-bath home with a 2-car garage was about $15,000 ($150,000 in today’s dollars).
In December 1954, the Sutton Manor Improvement Association was formed “to promote the development and improvement of the community life and general welfare of the more than 120 families who make up the new residential subdivision.”
In January 1959, Mill Valley’s colorful real estate agent, Live Wire Lindskog, advertised “a beautiful Sutton Manor 3-bedroom, 2-bath home with hardwood parquet floors, brick fireplace, wall-wall carpeting, patio, extra big yard, completely fenced, landscaped, level; super-mart two blocks away, express commute 4 blocks, 26 minutes to Market Street, only $19,600.” Since then, most of the homes have converted the two-car garage into living space, and most of the homes have had extensive remodeling.
(This vignette of Marin history is compiled by the Mill Valley Historical Society.)